RECIPE: Pasta with Fresh Herbs and Smoked Mozzarella
The Italiano paired particularly well with this dish. It is our adaptation of a recipe from Spaghetti Sauces by Biba Caggiano.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup minced green olives (it's ok to use pimento stuffed if that is what you have, might even be better)
- 1/3 cup minced oil packed sun dried tomatoes and oil from the jar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed minced fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, thyme; you don't have to have all of them!)
- 4 ounces grated smoked mozzarella
Take about 2 tablespoons of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes and heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and cook until just turning brown. Add the garlic, olives, capers and tomatoes, adding a little more olive oil if needed and fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Lightly season with salt and a lot of pepper. Add some red pepper flakes to taste, if using (we love them).
Drain the spaghetti, reserving one cup of the cooking liquid. Put the spaghetti in the frying pan. Add in the fresh herbs and mozzarella. Add in at least 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and more if needed. Stir quickly until the cheese just begins to soften (if you cook too long it will clump up). Turn off the heat. Adjust seasonings as needed. Plate the dish and pour a little olive oil over it if desired. We suggest serving on warm to hot plates (but be careful!).
Serves 4 to 6